Car Rental or Car Share?
Globe and communauto head to head!
A fight is a fight! But who’s the winner – you be the judge. Car sharing has many advantages but also many limitations the average consumer isn’t aware of. We explore those difference in the slides below to help you decide.
Watch the video and decide for yourself!
Car Sharing advantages.
Depends on your Mobility Needs.
Car sharing can be advantageous over car rental for very short trips – normally a few hours. Also, car sharing is on-demand – meaning you can decide on a spontaneous trip while walking down the street, flick on the APP and bingo find the closest vehicle. Sure, you can search for a car rental branch… but it must be open and ideally nearby (not all open 7 days a week till 7PM like Globe does). Some car sharing companies allow you to park free in pre-designated parking on the street. Another popular feature is when you need a car from Point A to Point B – one way. Car Rentals allow you to drop off at other locations but here you can drop off anywhere in the city as long as you park within their designated space.
Main Disadvantages of Car Sharing:
- You need to register & authorize a credit check
- Get into a filthy car very often – Yuck!
- Car with empty gas, fill up and submit for refund
- Longer periods become very expensive, do the math
- No unlimited mileage, limited roadside assistance
- Limited vehicles – No SUVs, Full-size, Minivans, etc…
- Arrive late, your car can be given to someone else!
- What if no cars in your area? What now, back to rental?
- Will they pick you up / drop you off?